The HI96832 portable refractometer utilizes the measurement of refractive index to determine the percent volume and freezing points of propylene glycol based solutions. The instrument converts the refractive index of a sample to percent volume or freezing point. These conversions are based on internationally recognized references for unit conversion and temperature compensation for glycol solutions (e.g. CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 87th Edition). The HI96832 is an easy to use tool for for measuring freezing point and percent volume in propylene glycol solutions, on the production floor or in the lab.
- Designed for propylene glycol analysis
- Automatic Temperature Compensation
- 0 - 100% Volume range with ±0.3% accuracy
- 0 to -50 °C freezing point range with ±0.5 °C accuracy
Freezing point is displayed as a temperature from 0.0 to -51.0 °C corresponding to 0-60 % by volume. When the display shows “LO”, the freezing point is at a minimum (below -51 °C).
Making a Standard Solution
To make an X % Propylene Glycol Solution, follow the procedure below:
- Place container (such as a glass vial or dropper bottle that has a cover) on an analytical balance.
- Tare the balance.
- volumetrically add X mL of high purity propylene glycol (CAS #: 57-55-2; MW 76.09) to a 100 mL Grade A volumetric flask.
- Use distilled or deionized water to bring the flask close to the total volume, mix, allow the solution to return to room temperature.
- Once the solution has returned to room temperature use distilled or deionized water to bring the total volume to 100 mL. Mix solution well before use.
Propylene Glycol Total Volume Expected Freezing Point Value 10% V/V 10.00 mL 100.00 mL -3.4 °C (25.9 °F) 40% V/V 40.00 mL 100.00 mL -21.3 °C (-6.3 °F)
The HI96832 takes measurements based on a sample’s refractive index. Refractive index is a measurement of how light behaves as it passes through the sample. Depending on the sample’s composition, light will refract and reflect differently. By measuring this activity with a linear image sensor, the sample’s refractive index can be assessed and used to determine its physical properties such as concentration and density. In addition to the linear image sensor, the HI96832 uses an LED light, prism and lens to make measurement possible.
Variations in temperature will affect the accuracy of refractometry readings, so the use of temperature compensation is highly recommended for reliable results. The HI96832 contains a built-in temperature sensor and is programmed with temperature compensation algorithms in accordance with internationally recognized references which vary based on the parameter being measured.
- Calibrate with distilled or deionized water
Small sample size
- Sample size can be as small as 2 metric drops (100 μl)
Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC)
- Samples automatically compensated for temperature variations
Quick, accurate results
- Readings are displayed in approximately 1.5 seconds
- The dual-level LCD displays measurement and temperature readings simultaneously
Stainless steel sample well
- Easy to clean and corrosion-resistant
- Battery percent level remaining at startup and low battery indicator
- To conserve battery life the meter shuts off automatically after three minutes of non-use
IP65 water resistant protection
- Water resistant ABS plastic casing designed to perform under laboratory and field conditions.
Percent Volume Range (% V/V) 0 to 100% Percent Volume Resolution (% V/V) 0.1 % Percent Volume Accuracy (% V/V) @20°C/68°F ±0.3 % Freezing Point Range 0 to -51 °C (32 to -59.8 °F) Freezing Point Resolution 0.1 °C (0.1 °F) Freezing Point Accuracy (@25°C/77°F) ±0.5 °C (±1.0 °F) Temperature Range 0 to 80°C (32 to 176°F) Temperature Resolution 0.1°C (0.1°F) Temperature Accuracy ±0.3 °C (±0.5 °F) Temperature Compensation automatic between 0 and 40°C (32 to 104°F) Measurement Time approximately 1.5 seconds Minimum Sample Volume 100 μL (to cover prism totally) Light Source yellow LED Sample Cell stainless steel ring and flint glass prism Auto-off after three minutes of inactivity Enclosure Rating IP65 Battery Type / Life 9V / approximately 5000 readings Dimensions / Weight 192 x 102 x 67 mm (7.6 x 4.01 x 2.6”) / 420 g (14.8 oz.) Ordering Information HI96832 is supplied with battery and instruction manual